StubHub, the world’s top ticketing marketplace owned by eBay, created a poll for K-Pop fans around the world to vote for their favourite Korean Pop group of 2018. To truly get an international result, the poll was launched in 13 countries across the globe in eight different languages and lasted for a month, from 1-31 October. Voters from Asia, Europe, and the Americas participated to help identify the world’s K-Pop fan favourite.
With 16 nominees to choose from, StubHub’s K-Pop fans chose the Bangtan Boys (BTS) as the clear winners with 5,552 votes. It may come as no surprise as BTS has truly rocked it out this year and have proven themselves as one of K-Pop’s biggest international sensations. EXO, another stand-out name in 2018, took the silver medal with 3,352 votes. Super Junior followed extremely close behind in third place with 3,267. The final standings were the following:
Interesting K-Pop facts and much more
Although the voting period is now over, K-Pop fans can still access the results page and discover K-razy facts about all 16 groups and additionally enjoy top music videos. For each group there is a link where they can find available tickets to all the groups’ upcoming concerts around the world. For example:
· BTS, who are winning awards left and right for their music this year, will be finishing 2018 and starting 2019 with multiple concerts in countries such as Japan, Taiwan, Singapore and Thailand.
· Keep an eye out for EXO tour announcements! Considering their second place finish and recent successful return with the album Don’t Mess Up My Tempo, they’re sure to be hitting the road and performing in cities all around the world.
· Super Junior have been around for 13 years now, but the legendary K-pop group is still going strong! They’ve got concerts scheduled throughout Asia until the end of the year and rumour has it that they’ll be continuing on with their reunion and performing all over the world come 2019!
· Wanna One, the 2018 winners of the MBC Plus X Genie Music Awards daesang for Song of the Year, have just finished their 2018 World Tour and are bigger and better than ever! We’re on the edge of our seats waiting to hear what’s in store for this talented group in 2019!
· Black Pink and Red Velvet are planning on making a big splash in the K-Wave come 2019. Both groups have recently announced world tours and fans couldn’t be more excited! Will K-Pop’s favourite girl groups dominate the charts in 2019? We wouldn’t think TWICE about it!
What’s in store for K-Pop in 2019?
Interest in K-Pop is at an all-time high and K-Pop fans have proven to be some of the most loyal in the world. The K-Wave reached amazing levels in 2018, but the full impacts are sure to be felt in 2019. It’s no longer a question of ‘if’ Korean Pop will be successful around the world, but rather ‘when’ it will reach its peak potential. In 2018, we saw more languages being incorporated into many Korean Pop songs causing international fandoms to grow like wildfire.
On StubHub’s K-Pop page, devoted followers can stay up-to-date on the latest concert announcements across the globe as well as upcoming events. They can also subscribe to the newsletter to be the first to know about official onsale dates and any other music related news! All in all, 2019 will be an extremely exciting time for K-Pop! And dont forget you can request your favorite Kpop in real-time, any time (almost), on Asian Pop Radio by taking advantage of our Requests Service. Check it out now.
Media Release by: Danielle McConnel, StarHub.
Edited by: Donny Tan